Benefits of Milk Thistle / Silymarin - Taking Care of
There are many benefits of milk thistle, but the
most common use for this herb is protecting the body's liver.
Milk thistle use for treating liver ailments dates back to the ancient Greeks and this herb has been used in ancient Chinese medicine for over 2000 years. There are over 300 research studies into milk thistle use and its benefits to back up its proven value in liver health today. Many of these studies were carried out in Europe and milk thistle is one of the herbs approved by the Commission E for its beneficial effects on liver-related diseases such as toxic liver damage, inflammatory liver disease, and cirrhosis.
Liver Herb - Benefits of Milk Thistle Herb
The herb milk thistle could be called the liver's best friend. Milk thistle use not only protects the liver from toxins but it also plays an important healing role too. Milk thistle helps to repair liver cells and promotes the regeneration of new cells. In summary milk thistle benefits the liver by ensuring that the liver's daily tasks are carried out and that the liver has the ability to rejuvenate itself.
LifeSource Vitamins Milk Thistle/Silymarin Products, Articles and Studies: Click
More about the Benefits of Milk Thistle
- Antioxidant: Silymarin, an active ingredient in the milk thistle complex, is a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from free radicals that cause cellular damage. Milk thistle extract also motivates other compounds that have antioxidative properties such as glutathione and superoxide dismutase.
- Glutathione; a vital substance for the detoxification of the liver. In one study, milk thistle use raised the glutathione levels in the body more than 30%; this, in turn, meant that the liver was more effective at cleansing the body and eliminating toxic substances.
- Alcohol-Related Diseases: Another benefit of milk thistle is its ability to work as a guardian to the liver and prevent the toxicity caused by alcohol consumption. Consuming alcohol in large amounts causes the liver to work overtime and in the long term causes serious liver disease such as cirrhosis. Milk thistle use helps to repair and regenerate liver cells, and also helps to block fibrosis, which if not treated can lead to cirrhosis. The major health benefit of milk thistle is the fact that this herb has been found to be an effective medicinal treatment in patients suffering from alcoholic cirrhosis, alcohol-induced liver damage, and hepatitis. Actually, milk thistle benefits all types of liver toxicity.
- Gallstones: Milk thistle stimulates the bile flow and is helpful in both preventing and treating gallstones.
- Promising Cancer-Fighting Properties : Although there have been no clinical studies carried out on humans, laboratory studies indicate that silibinin, an active compound of silymarin, is effective in fighting cancer cells found in prostate, cervical, and breast cancers The use of milk thistle has helped to reduce the cancer cell growth and has also improved the efficacy of chemotherapy drugs.
Milk Thistle Side Effects
Milk thistle side effects are quite rare, but on some occasions, milk thistle use can cause a laxative effect when used in high doses. If this occurs it is advised to stop taking milk thistle for a couple of days.
Milk Thistle Dosage
200-400 mg silymarin two to three times per day is what experts recommend in order to gain optimum health benefits. You will find milk thistle extracts that have been standardized to contain 70 -80 % silymarin. By multiplying the percentage with the actual mg of each capsule, you can calculate the net amount of the active ingredient that you would be consuming.
Have Questions on this
or any other product or health issue for you or a loved one? It can be overwhelming we know. Call us,
we will walk you through what supplements will help you and which ones you
really don’t need. It’s what we do! Toll-Free:
LifeSource Vitamins, from the nutrients we choose, to the way we run our business,
we answer to God in all we do and have since 1992!
Every LifeSource Vitamins product
exceeds the standards and requirements set forth in the FDA's Code of Federal
Regulation (21 CFR, part 111) Current Good
Manufacturing Practices (CGMP).
Proudly Made in the USA, with ALL USA Ingredients!
or Call Us: 800.567.8122
We Are Built on
Compassion - Driven by Faith & Powered by God!
Vitamins: Since 1992
*Disclaimer: None of the above
statements have been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to
diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. As always, consult your
physician before taking any and all supplements. LifeSource Vitamins.
Individual results may vary.
Disclaimer: All the
information contained throughout this website is based upon the opinion of the
founder of LifeSource Vitamins, Bruce Brightman, and the entire team at
LifeSource Vitamins whose relentless research and studies have been ongoing
since 1992. Other articles and information are based on the opinions of
the authors, who retain the copyright as marked on the article. The
information on this site is not intended to replace your health care
professional, but to enhance your relationship with them. Doing your own
studying and research and taking your health care into your own hands is always
best, especially in partnership with your health care professional. If you
are pregnant, nursing, taking medications, or have any medical conditions,
always consult your health care professional before taking supplements based on
the information on this site.