L-lysine plays a particularly important role in the immune system. It is involved in the development of antibodies and has important antiviral properties.
Studies show that this particular amino acid is especially beneficial for safeguarding against herpes virus. Lysine has been shown to decrease occurrences of anxiety and it assists with the formation of collagen and muscle tissue.
It is also involved in protein biosynthesis, especially in building collagen together with the amino acids Glycine and Proline. An L-lysine deficiency may, therefore, result in broken skin, fragile nails and in extreme cases loss of hair.
There is also evidence that L-lysine increases the effectiveness of L-arginine in promoting human growth hormone (HGH) release. Studies have found that HGH was increased when weightlifters ingested Arginine and Lysine without exercise.
You may experience many health benefits when you have an adequate intake of l-lysine in your diet, here are a few….
- Cholesterol Management. In the liver, l-lysine converts to carnitine which helps your body burn fat. Because of this fat-burning ability, studies have shown that lysine in the diet may result in decreased levels of LDL (or bad) cholesterol.
- Bone Health. Everyone knows that calcium is critical for strong bones. L-lysine helps the body to absorb the calcium and decreases the excretion of calcium. Some studies also show that l-lysine may increase the activity of bone and collagen-building cells. Decreasing the loss of calcium and increasing bone-building activity may slow the bone loss that happens with age.
- Herpes Prevention. L-lysine may act as an antiviral by blocking the production of the Herpes Simplex Virus. Studies suggest that following a diet rich in lysine (or taking a lysine supplement), while not curing the virus, may prevent outbreaks of genital herpes and cold sores associated with the herpes virus. L-lysine may also help herpes sores heal faster.
- Proper Body Growth. L-lysine is one of the primary components of proteins. Therefore, it is critical for proper body growth, particularly in children. Because it helps your body absorb calcium, l-lysine is also critical for growing bones and other tissues. Low levels of lysine may lead to failure to grow due to a protein deficiency.
- Anxiety and Stress Reduction. In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences reported that lysine supplements can reduce stress and anxiety in a population that consumed very low levels of l-lysine rich foods.
- Shingle Relief. Shingles are caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox in children. With shingles, the adult will experience a painful rash usually located on one side of the body along one of the major spinal nerves. While not a cure for shingles, l-lysine may help decrease the duration or intensity of the disease.
- Pain Relief: Studies are being conducted to determine if l-lysine acts as an anti-inflammatory. If it does, you may be able to get pain relief from an adequate intake of this amino acid.
- Heart Health. Finally, l-lysine may be effective in decreasing some of the symptoms associated with angina. While the mechanism of action is not known, lysine in conjunction with vitamin C seems to have some effect.
Have Questions on this
or any other product or health issue for you or a loved one? It can be overwhelming we know. Call us,
we will walk you through what supplements will help you and which ones you
really don’t need. It’s what we do! Toll-Free:
LifeSource Vitamins, from the nutrients we choose, to the way we run our
business, we answer to God in all we do and have since 1992!
Every LifeSource Vitamins product
exceeds the standards and requirements set forth in the FDA's Code of Federal
Regulation (21 CFR, part 111) Current Good
Manufacturing Practices (CGMP).
Proudly Made in the USA, with ALL USA Ingredients!
or Call Us: 800.567.8122
We Are Built on
Compassion - Driven by Faith & Powered by God!
Vitamins: Since 1992
*Disclaimer: None of the above
statements have been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to
diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. As always, consult your physician
before taking any and all supplements. LifeSource Vitamins. Individual results
Disclaimer: All the
information contained throughout this website is based upon the opinion of the
founder of LifeSource Vitamins, Bruce Brightman, and the entire team at
LifeSource Vitamins whose relentless research and studies have been ongoing
since 1992. Other articles and information are based on the opinions of
the authors, who retain the copyright as marked on the article. The
information on this site is not intended to replace your health care
professional, but to enhance your relationship with them. Doing your own
studying and research and taking your health care into your own hands is always
best, especially in partnership with your health care professional. If you
are pregnant, nursing, taking medications, or have any medical conditions,
always consult your health care professional before taking supplements based on
the information on this site.
L-Lysine shown to help: Immune System Support, Increased Calcium Absorption, Bell’s Palsy Treatment, Cold Sores, Reducing Stress & Anxiety, Helps with Shingles, Athletic Performance, HGH Release & Increase, Muscle Growth, Heart Health, Herpes, Bone Health, Hair Loss and Skin Health.